Monday, August 29, 2011

Apple IIe - Super Bunny

Super Bunny takes me waaayyyy back! Really the only reason that I'm reviewing this game is because it's one of the first games I remember playing on the Apple IIe way back in the 2nd grade. It was super-addictive to me at the time, and even now I found it somewhat addicting. It's a simple game where you need to cross moving platforms from left to right, grab a carrot from some kind of troll creature, then use your time-limited super powers to run into the creatures on the screen which destroys them in campy flashes of word balloons like Pow!, Zap!, and the like. I know I shouldn't be surprised to find a wikipedia article about this game, but I am.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bunny)

Super Bunny

(Released in 1983 According To Wikipedia)


Rabbit Power!!


There's a little song and a saying before each level, and the story seems to be that Reginald Rabbit is in a cavern and must fight his way out by eating the carrot power-up and destroying the creatures. I always thought the troll holding the character was evil, but in retrospect maybe that's just me being judgmental. After all, he does give Reginald the carrot, and really doesn't even try to stop him. If you reach the troll in a short time, you get a 500 or 250 point bonus. There's no time limit as Reginald, but Super Bunny only has a limited time to destroy the creatures, or he has to head back over to the troll for another carrot.

Are Owls and Bats Parasites? 


Stage 1 - The First Computer Troll


His Power Levels Are Enormous!!


SMACK! Breakfast Of Champions!


As the game progresses, it's pretty much the same throughout, but with more difficult platform timing, different character sprites, and some double platform enemies.

Super Bunny Does A Little Dance Here.  What A Punk!


Stage 2 - You Know Those Platforms That Are Like, Double Platforms?


I find the double platforms to be easier, since you have one less obstacle when moving through the stage.

That's The Kind Of Self Aggrandizing Attitude I Like!


Stage 3 - Watch Out For Big Cats!


As soon as you start Stage 3, you get an extra life. You might need them because it's pretty easy to die quickly in this game. It really shouldn't be, but I find the ticking sound of the timer along with my impatience makes me want to rush through the levels, even though there's no real reason for that.

I Guess I'm Trying To Escape This Cavern - What A Succinct Plot Point!


Stage 4 - It's Turning Into A Real Zoo Here


That's Some Ferocious Carrot Breath!


Stage 5 - Almost Home


As you start Stage 6, which is also the last stage, you're rewarded with another extra life.

You Don't Know Me!


Stage 6 - Home Of The Double-Double


And that's all there is too the game. After Stage 6, you can keep playing for points, but there's no added challenge or difference in the levels. It actually took me a good hour or more just to get through this game, but I remember playing for what seemed like hours when I was a very young kid. 

Hope All Those Carrots Are Sitting Right...


Thanks For The Fitting End To This Epic Saga


One thing that kind of takes away the fun now that I'm older is how easy it is to get a high score in this game. I remember trying so hard to beat the game over and over to beat the other kids at my school for the high score when I was young, but it's really simple. When you're in Reginald form, just hop around on the platforms for awhile and you'll get points for every hop. I just used one of the double platforms to hop for awhile, rode another platform back up, and repeated to get a great score in a short time. But then I got bored, and also I died...

King Of The World...Of Super Bunny


I would give this game a 6. It's far from a masterpiece, but it gets a better grade based on the time it was released and my memories of this one. It's better than several dozen NES games I've played (Color Dreams, I hate you), and it's addicting until you beat it the first time or use the score trick above. My favorite part of the credits in the opening of this game is that there's actually somebody credited with the story. So yeah, if you wrote "Vaporize Those Varmints" back in 1983, you could get a video game credit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment